If you have suffered injuries in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may have a valid injury claim. Illinois’s statute of limitations has set a deadline of two years for most personal injury lawsuits. It is essential to act at the earliest to get a fair settlement for your claim, for which you may want to lawyer up. Before you hire a personal injury attorney Rockford, here are some key things worth knowing.
- The first consultation is usually free. Almost all law firms that specialize in injury and wrongful death lawsuits offer free consultations with their attorneys. If you are wondering what your claim is worth or whether the claim is valid in the first place, make sure to talk to an attorney before you take the next step.
- You may not need to go to court. When we think of a lawsuit, we usually imagine lawyers shouting in court. Things can be drastically different for personal injury lawsuits, which are typically settled outside of the court. Chances are high that your injury attorney is experienced enough to get a fair settlement through negotiations.
- You don’t need immediate cash to pay the lawyer. Victims often have a hard time pursuing their case, more often when they know that the lawyer will charge an upfront fee. Thankfully, injury attorneys in Rockford usually take a share of the final compensation, which is known as the contingency fee. Ask your attorney about the other expenses that you may need to pay.
- Not all attorneys are the same. Would you go to a cardiac surgeon for your liver condition? You don’t just need any attorney but an experienced injury lawyer with credible experience in the matter. For instance, only select attorneys handle medical malpractice cases. Before you get an attorney on board, ask what they specialize in and if they can work on your claim.
- Hiring an injury attorney can improve your chances. While there is no guarantee that an attorney will win a high settlement for you, it is still better to seek legal counsel. Negotiating with the claims adjuster would be a lot easier because now they know that you are not alone. A skilled injury attorney knows what it takes to fight for the client’s rights, even if that means going to court.
Get an attorney as soon as you feel better after the accident.